Green Peas and Jack-fruit Seeds Gravy / Chana ani Ponnosa bikkanda Ros, well all know Green Peas, well we Goan pronounce it chana and Jack-fruit seeds in English and we Goan Pronounce it ponnos ( Jack-fruit) bikkanda (seeds), today I share a unique combo as my grandfather use to make a terrific gravy with coconut that no one can bet him and really miss him a lot as he is in a better place i:e permanent home with “Jesus”. But grandfather you are always close to our heart that no one can fill it. This Green peas gravy I prepare in sweet memories of my Grandfather.
We Goan, are very fond of fish and our simple saddi boshi / daily meal cant digest / complete without fish, well in rainy season, due to heavy rain it is difficult for fisher men to catch fish or fishing due to heavy rain, and we goan utilize this time to complete our meal with dry fish, or preservative food like pickle of fish, raw mango with salt water, pickle or drooling fish para mean preserving dry fish with ground masala and vinegar, fish or meat mole / balchao.
So today I tried jack-fruit seeds in my green peas gravy it turn out supercool the aroma and taste wise bit spicy and sweet taste close to sweet potatoes the flavor of jackfruit seed, well I was so lucky to get when I had gone for holiday in Goa I couldn’t get one jack-fruit also L unfortunately I been to my friend place, and she brought jack-fruit seeds from India – Kerela and i was so glad to see and she knew my thought and gave a some and I prepare this beautiful gravy and serve with fresh flat bread with multi – grain flour, with fresh cucumber with dash of lime juice squeeze it was awesome dinner. If you tempt my gravy do try and relish every bit and don’t forget to give me feedback.
Health Benefit of Jack-fruit seeds :
Jack-fruit seeds are high in protein
It helps prevent constipation as it is high on fiber, The powdered jack-fruit seeds can help get instant relief from indigestion.
Jack-fruit seeds are high on Vitamins & Minerals
Let’s begin with Green peas and Jackfruit seeds Gravy / Chana ani Ponnosa bikkanda Ros.
1 Cup dried Green Peas – Soaked in water, overnight.
1 Big Onion – finely chopped
1 Medium tomato – chopped
2 Garlic cloves – finely chopped
1 tsp. cumin
3 – 4 Fresh curry leave – finely chopped
1tsp. garma masala powder
1/4 tsp. Turmeric powder
Salt to taste
For blend paste :
¼ cup fresh grated coconut
½ tsp cumin
- Wash the soaked green peas overnight, next day cook in pressure cooker with some water & little salt, in meantime blend fresh coconut with cumin with little water, keep a side, when 1 whistle of green peas, close the flame.
- Heat little oil in a wide pan, add finely chopped garlic and saute for while, add curry leaves sauté for 1 minute.
- Then add chopped onion and saute till translucent, add the chopped tomato, saute till it mushy.
- Add boiled peas add turmeric, garam masala powder, incorporate well and adjust with salt and gravy consistency, add the blend coconut and cumin paste and add little water to make a thick gravy, not too thick check according to each desire, let it simmer for some time then close the flame.
- Serve with fresh flat bread / Chapatti / brown bread.
- Don’t miss to have some fresh salad I add in my just chopped lengthwise cucumber with a dash of lime juice.
- Relish every bite of green peas & Jackfruit seed gravy / Ponnosa bikkanda Ros.
For Flat Bread :
Brown flour 1 cups (Multi – Grain Wheat flour)
White flour ½ cup (All Purpose)
Yogurt ¼ cup
Ghee 1 tbsp.
Salt to taste
- Take a bowl and retain the water from radish and keep a side.
- Take a large bowl add both flour, salt add water as required to knead the dough then, add the ghee and yogurt knead well and make a pliable dough.
- Cover the dough for about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Heat the skillet at low flame, take a small balls of resting dough, then take a rolling pin and add the pinch of dry flour and roll into small circle, then add the flat bread to skillet, then add some ghee and cook for 2 – 3 minutes or until it is light brown on both the side.
- Serve with Green Peas and Jack-fruit Seeds Gravy, and cucumber salad and relish every bit.